11.12.2009

La Semana Tres

AY CHE! My head is spinning. It's insane how humans can feel so many emotions at one time. According to my research, a human starts feeling two emotions simultaneously around age 3. That explains why at age 22 I can feel 5 at once. I haven't decided if this blog is going to be a happy, sad, angry, angsty, or tranquil one. It's hectic in this "casa". Vanessa's daughter and mother have arrived along with another volunteer. There are now 5 people in a 2 bedroom apartment. Volunteers in one, vanessa and her hija, Constanza, in the other, and abuela sleeps in the living room. Constanza (Connie, Mally, or Conicita) is a rad 17 year old. She's a tiny Chilean hipster with tattooed arms and gages. I dig her. Tessa is a volunteer from Beverly Hills. She is 18, is going to school in Scotland next year, and is into theatre and dance. Her half sister is a well known tango dancer in Buenos Aires. Tessa arrived Tuesday and we've already taken the 45 minute commute to the capital twice since she's been here. Although she is having a tough time due to homesickness and culture shock, it's much easier to go out in the city with a companion. I'm a wee bit jealous of her for two reasons. 1. Tessa has a sister who has lived here for 4 years to help her out. 2. Constanza is going to volunteer with Tessa, so Tessa has someone to help her plan activities and translate to the kids. I can't say I'm home sick, but I'd cut off my pinky finger to have a friend or family member here, or to have help at my volunteer project (Tessa and I work at different community centers). Speaking of pinky fingers....I had a little accident. While prying a toddler off of his peer, as to not witness a homocide, the little rascal managed to bite my "menique" with great force. I now have no sensation in my left pinky finger. It's been 3 days, and still nothing. I'm no doctor, but it looks like a severed nerve to me. I love kids. I really do like my volunteering gigs, but I'm itching to escape to the capital. It's really an amazing city from what I've seen so far. I stopped by 3 different hostels today in an area called San Telmo, all of which looked SWEET! For a single room, rates are around $20 U.S, and for a dormitory setting, rates are like $8 a night! The subte system is really easy to learn, but the union workers go on strike about once a week, so subways don't always run. They are also jam packed like sardines. One must always be quite careful of their belongings. My indefinite plan is to stay in hostels around the capital, attend spanish classes, and check out the theatre scene as much as possible. I also have the contact info for this woman who lives in Patagonia and teaches rock climbing. That's a must. However, for the next 13 days I'm stuck in Lomas de Zamora and I'm getting antsy. The charming man from the internet cafe and his girlfriend are bringing me to a concert, and then to a place called Puerto Madero on Saturday night. I am forever indebted to these people who go out of their way to make the foreign girl feel welcome. THANKS MATIAS AND INES! I need to get some sleep jefes. Keep the comments coming! They fill my heart with apple pie and ice cream. Miss you!

4 comments:

  1. Buenos Noches Katie,

    I hope I spelled that correctly. My English spelling isn't so great so Spanish is even that much more challenging.

    I am glad to report that having more than 5 feelings at a time is likely the max even when you progress into your 50's. I think perhaps there is a lesson within your "cramped" living arrangement. Maybe it is a way of preparing you for the $8 a night room. ;-)

    I am glad you are getting into the heart of the city and starting to get familiar with it. As for jealousy I am soooo jealous of the prospect of your getting to see/visit Patagonia. Please Please Please take as many pictures as you can for me if you do get to visit there.

    Keep the postings coming we eagerly await them and live vicariously through your adventures.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin Pie,
    I so worry about your finger. I know you can handle a crowded house for 13 days. I am so glad you checked out the hostels. After the crowd it might be nice to take a private room for at least one night before going the dormitory style. Taking the subway with your backpack sounds very dangerous. Might want to invest in a cab or maybe Ines or someone with a car will come to the rescue to deliver you to the hostel. I am so impressed with your research! I'm so proud of you!
    Miss you mucho and love you immensely.
    XOXOXOXOXOX
    Mommadukes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should contact my friend's mom on facebook.- Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. as astute as i am with computers i neglected to check to se if you blogged cuz we were skyping. Why did you put your finger out for that kid to bite? Where did all the money go for the karate lessons we paid for? Seriously, why dont you transition into the populus after this gig by hanging with matias every once in a while in the city? keep me skyped, im psyched!

    ReplyDelete