11.18.2009

The Great Escape

Mi Cariños, Mira, me voy Lomas la semana que viene! (translation: Look,I leave Lomas next week!) This is good news. Me encanta Argentina, but I need to get the hell out of Lomas De Zamora. I went to Buenos Aires today and made reservations at a trendy lil´hostel in San Telmo for next Wed, Thurs, and Fri. I´m so pumped to be out of this strange little boredom trap. "I wanna be where the people are, I wanna see, wanna see ´em dancin´(tango)"-La Cerenita (The Little Mermaid). So, I only have 4 days left of volunteering. I´m gonna miss the little rascals so very much. Even the one who bit my finger. By the way, I now have sensation in my pinky, but when I touch the spot the "nene" bit , my finger gets all tingly. Maybe he is radioactive. But seriously, I hope I had as much impact on the kids of Lomas as they did on me. I´m especially sad to leave the teens at Coy Aike. Never in my life have I seen a more loving, funny, and accepting group of adolescents. Every time I walk in the door I receive a complimentary hug, kiss, and smile, accompanied by a "Ah Kah-Tee, todo bien?!". They´ve been participating in my crazy acting workshops week after week, even though it is intimidating, and most of them have no interest in being an actor. At least I´ve opened there eyes to acting as a career option, and to some of the customs of a foreigner. There are no travelers in Lomas,and I am the first volunteer at Coy Aike, so I´m probably the only outsider they´ve met. AND, Thanks to the package my mom sent, they are going to experience the wonders of Sour Patch Kids, Starburst, and Reese´s...:sigh: America :) I don´t have set plans once I leave Lomas. I am going to a Killers concert next Thursday, though! I´m buying two tickets, and then I´m going to post a flyer in the hostel in hopes of finding someone to go with me. Today I went to check out the concert venue and along the way I saw: The HUGE hippodrome (racehorse track), the polo stadium, a giant mosque which the king of Saudi Arabia paid to have built, and a beautiful park. Some things that might interest you about Argentina: 1. There are no lanes in the roads, and the drivers are insane! 2. All the "Y´s" and "ll´s" are pronounced "juh". 3. It takes an average of 5 years to get a bachelor´s degree, not four. 4. The fist gay marriage will take place the December 1st. 5. Rude or mean people don´t exist here. There are a billion interesting facts, but I don´t remember which ones I already mentioned. I´ll add more soon. BTW...it costs me less than a dollar a minute to call the U.S. from the internet cafe. If anyone would like me to call just post a comment with your number. I would love to hear your voice! Miss you all tons! Yours forever and always, KATEMEISTER

1 comment:

  1. Yo. u did it! I hope you consider the project a success. I do. your intent was to teach.i'm sure every coblogger will agree that impressions were made all around. every time we think we cant be more proud of you we are! Now its time for Katie time. think before you do but make sure you DO! My telephone # is 401-497-3071. love ya papa y dona

    ReplyDelete